On March 7, Alberta Health Services suddenly announced Sundre Hospital and Care Centre’s 15 long-term care beds would close this summer.
AHS’s decision to close Sundre’s only long-term care spaces blindsided the community. Neither AHS nor the NDP government consulted with residents, families, the community or staff about the closure.
Past Progressive Conservative governments closed public long-term care beds in towns across Alberta and those beds never returned. People who required long-term care in those areas were forced out of their communities to get the care they needed. This will happen to future long-term care patients in Sundre if this closure moves forward.
But the NDP government can stop this.
In its 2015 election platform, the NDP promised to create 2,000 public-long-term care beds over four years. This is a good thing. Public long-term care beds are desperately needed in Alberta. If the NDP government allows Sundre’s beds to close, it will mean a move in the opposite direction of what was promised. That’s not right.
Please send the letter below and join us in asking NDP Health Minister Sarah Hoffman to do the right thing and reverse AHS’s decision to close public long-term care beds in Sundre.
What You Can Do
- Collect signatures on this petition and send to the address at the bottom of the form.
- Attend the town hall on April 6, 6:30 PM, at the Sundre Legion, 135 – 6 Street SE.
- Find out more about the issue in this brochure.
- Find out how you can get involved in the campaign by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-855-930-3401. This is not just a Sundre issue; people across the province can get involved!
- Send a letter to Health Minister Hoffman and all MLAs using the form below.